Driving with the Brakes On




"My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the LORD. 

"And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. Isaiah 55:8


My second son-in-law, like a lot of other men, does not like for his wife to drive his trucks.  Now, to be honest, I don't know how this works in other states, but in West Virginia, a man's truck says a lot about his character.  Some truck's tote guns and Bibles, some are adorned with mud while others are chromed-out, some have running boards and others make you work for the right to get inside!  My son-in-law's truck was somewhat of a show piece: a shiny blue Ford, decorative hood scoop, nice wheels, mirror-like chrome...and nearly impossible to drive.  

One Sunday afternoon, my daughter's husband gave her the privilege of popping that clutch and raking those gears to bring his truck to momma's house!  And although this truck was a beast to get moving forward, I had to see if this old woman could still drive a stick-shift.  Down the graveled driveway we went, just a mile or so, under the pretense of gassing 'er up.  I was a little rusty finding that sweet spot for the clutch release but once I hit third gear, I had it down pat. Wow! Ole mom still had it...or so I thought.  I offered an embarrassed "New toy!" explanation to the folks watching us from the storefront as we jerked clumsily onto the blacktop.  Once home, I smiled and jumped out of the truck, only to be assaulted by the smell of burning rubber.  And it was at that exact moment my daughter reminded me to set the emergency brake...the emergency brake?  Oh that...yeah...well...it was set...the whole mile down the road and the whole mile back up the driveway: I had been driving with the parking break on. How embarrassing.

I don't know about ya'll but every once in a while, I try this with life in general but try as hard as I can, I cannot make it turn out like it is supposed to. Those times when a thirty minute project turns into a entire day of failure.  Those days when my strength gives out on me while trying to do something I've accomplished, effortlessly, a millions times before.  Driving with the brakes on? Why would I do that?

Just like driving my son-in-law's truck, when I am forceful enough, I see things appearing to move forward, yeah they do so kicking and screaming, jumping and lurching, and when accomplished under these conditions, the results are often emotionally draining with little or no pleasure; oftentimes leaving a stench behind and an even bigger mess to clean up. So for me, I believe God "puts the break on" when my timing is off, or when the things I want are not part of His will for me.


My prayer for both you and I, is that the next time we try to force things into existence, this little road trip comes to mind and we take a moment to consider if God has given us the go ahead or if He has put the breaks on...Stay blessed and remember that God's timing is perfect.

In Christ,

Coach Kelly

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Create in Me

Jesus, Touch Me Again

beyond BEAUTIFUL week 45