It's okay to tell yourself 'No.' week 13

It’s Okay to Tell Yourself ‘No.’

"Whereas she who lives in pleasure and self-gratification [giving herself up to luxury and self-indulgence] is dead even while she [still] lives." (1 Timothy 5:6, ABC).


REFLECTION

​“Whereas she who lives in pleasure and self-gratification [giving herself up to luxury and self-indulgence] is dead even while she [still] lives." 
(1 Timothy 5:6, ABC).

Question of the day: What areas of your life are demanding attention, forcing you to make a choice that will cost you something?

A DEEPER LOOK

Read:
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
Proverbs 25:28

This week’s verses remind us that through Christ, with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, we have the power to live a fruitful life!


IMAGINE THIS


I worked hard to lose weight...and then just stopped counting calories. On purpose, I started slipping back into some old eating habits. Things that I wanted to be part of my past. Ten pounds heavier, it took a lot of telling myself "No." in order to get back on track with the lifestyle changes that made me feel so much better.  And then along comes the mention of spiritual or reli,gious issues! Do I feel better when I read my Bible and spend quiet time with God? Absolutely. Do I make it a regular practice? Most of the time. But do I make myself roll out of bed after a short or restless night and engage with Him? Not always. Can I tell the difference these few moments in time have on my day or week? Absolutely. So... what’s the issue? Well, for me it is the inability to tell myself 'No.' and mean it.

No. I cannot eat chips straight out of the bag. No. I cannot get up and rush into my day without spending a few minutes with God and expect to have a positive, productive, joy-filled day. It just ain't gonna happen. No. I cannot indulge in sin and be happy on a long-term basis - once again - it just ain't gonna happen. I've seen the comparison; I've seen the results. I've tried it both ways...why is this little two-letter word so offensive?

The Bible says that the spirit and the flesh are in constant battle. Warring against each other. One wants to do this and the other wants to do that - and stuck in the middle...well...is 'us'. The whole us. Our soul (mind-will-emotions), our body, and our spirit. And regardless of how smart, strong, or moral we may think we are - telling one part of us 'No.' is a struggle. A war. Paul wrote that he knew what was right and he wanted to do it...but somehow - somewhere deep within was this war keeping that little word, 'No' from coming forward and protecting him from himself.

We have the same war going on within us. Sometimes it’s harder to win than others but on the days we do - wow! How amazing it feels to win a battle by simply saying no. The thing we need to remember is this: The flesh is never satisfied. If we cater to it, we will find ourselves seeking out the next high – the next best thing – the one thing that will make us happy…but never finding it. 

I remember saying, a lot, that there is a void within our soul that only God’s Holy Spirit can fill. If we want to feel complete, He has to fill that void.  When we seek Him out, we’ll find that this void isn’t as big as it seemed...when we were trying to fill it by satisfying our flesh.


MY THOUGHTS

Journal your thoughts here
-How hard is it for me to tell myself 'No.' and follow through with my decision?
-Can I stick to my decision when I'm not feeling well or when I've had a hard day?
-How I often regret not taking a stand against my flesh (physical self)?
-Do I recognize the triggers that make me vulnerable to giving in to a ‘secret sin’?
-What safeguards or reminders can I put into place to help me learn to utilize self-control?
-Do I regret giving in and immediately ask for forgiveness or do I let it go?
-Could I benefit from telling myself “No.” or does this secret sin have no spiritual impact?
-Am I certain of this answer?
-What indicates to me and those around me that the Holy Spirit is an intricate part of my daily life?

Today is___________________ and I am feeling:                                                               
My thoughts:                                                                                                                          


In Christ with love and compassion,
Coach Kelly 
#BeyondTheMirror  #YourLifeCoachingWV #SpringtimeOfEncouragement

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Create in Me

Jesus, Touch Me Again

And Sometimes...It is Just God