Mammy's Special Biscuit

One of my quirks as a Life Coach: I look for teaching experiences in real life. Another of my quirks: I tend to put others first - even in the little things. If I never knew (before this morning) how this impacts my family, I do now. Today's little teaching moment came while I was reading my daily devotions. And my husband and our nine-year-old grandson were making breakfast. From the kitchen I heard Maddox proclaim, "We need to make Mammy her special biscuit." I smiled when John answered him, "We will, but Mammy's special biscuit is the last one we make." To which Maddox replied, "Pappy, we need to make hers first." +++ As every biscuit baker knows, the last biscuit is made from the scraps. It's the toughest, less attractive, flat one. The one that should not really be made…and the one I grab first. The one I'll smother with jelly and pop into my mouth as if it’s the best biscuit I ever ate. It isn't. But in a large family, it may be the one that's down for the count. As they were working in the kitchen, I learned a valuable lesson: even in the little things, by putting myself last, the people who truly love me will put me first. It's not always intentional, it just happens that way. The odd shaped biscuit, the one they call "Mammy's special biscuit," is actually Mammy's sacrificial biscuit…the kids, they don't know that…hopefully, they never will. But one day, when they're older, I pray that they, too, will learn valuable lessons from real life…as they lovingly put others first.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Create in Me

Jesus, Touch Me Again

beyond BEAUTIFUL week 45