Of Fall and of Jesus

I LOVE FALL! 
I don't know if it's because fall gives me a good reason to wear my worn-out boots or the smell of burning leaves...I don't know if I love fall because of the brilliant colors or the crisp mornings where the steam off my coffee swirls out of the cup then floats away. Maybe it’s the hot apple dumplings, excitement of football season, or the joy John and I get from watching our grand-kids scurry like squirrels to collect hickory nuts and acorns.  Or maybe it's because in fall, West Virginia's state colors go from blue and gold to camo or is this just an illusion?  

I'm not convinced that's it either.  The only thing that I can say for sure, is that I love fall and trying to explain exactly why is simply impossible.

It’s a lot like trying to describe my love for Jesus Christ.  There are the typical religious answers such as because He died for me or because the Bible says I should since, after all, He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life! But, for me, these answers are lacking because they are not personal enough. So why do I love Jesus?  

Maybe it’s because my parents taught me to love Him? Or because I credit Him for my loving family? Maybe it’s because He protects my kids and helps us through the tough times?  But surely there is more to love than what someone gives to me isn't there; otherwise, what happens when things go South or the gifts stop?  Shouldn't I love Him less? Maybe I should...but...I don't so...why DO I sincerely love a Man I've never seen?

I'm thinking that it’s because Jesus is a lot like fall:  He manifests Himself when the time is right; He went away once and He will come back; and everyday He gives me a multitude of "little reasons" to love Him.  Like when we are together and I am searching for an answer or direction and when I least expect it, He reveals it to me (and yes, if you know me, I wink heavenward, smile, and say thank you!), or when I am feeling discouraged and close my eyes to breathe, and I feel His presence as His peace fills my heart.  I love Him because once in a while, when I need a break in traffic (Caledonia Heights in the morning = grrrr) and it opens up – just for me! He gives me so many reasons that picking just one would be impossible. 

My love for Him goes beyond the little things into the big things like healing a family member or helping make way for employment opportunities. It even goes into radical places.  Like once heading toward Baker I said out loud:  “I just want to see a bald eagle!” And (no lie) within minutes, one literally flew along side my Jeep, on my side no less. For the first time in my life, I was able to get a good look at our National bird in the hills of WV!  Talk about shooting a huge smile and thumbs-up to Jesus, that got Him one…and then, just like I would do for one of my kids showing appreciation for the gift I handed them, I felt Him smile and say “You’re welcome."  To me, that was a big deal! But if am not paying attention, these little things could go unnoticed and the personal relationship we have would not be as intimate.  You see, the big things, those are for everyone to see...but those little things, awww, those little things are meant just for me and they become a big deal, just because...

So, if you were to ask me why I believe in Jesus or why I love Him; it may take me a minute to answer, not because I'm indecisive, but because I am wondering which reason to share? Which reason will resonate with you as an individual? Which little reason will touch your heart?


Just like the flavors and colors of fall, each of us have to taste and see for ourselves what it is like to experience and enjoy an intimate relationship with The King of Glory.

I love fall. I love Jesus. The reasons are big. The reasons are small.  But the love is real.

Have a blessed week everyone - Coach Kelly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Create in Me

Jesus, Touch Me Again

beyond BEAUTIFUL week 45