What's Love Got to Do With It? week 7


Photo credit: J (Taylor) Tenney @ Hardy Co., WV


REFLECTION

“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” (John 13: 34-35, ESV).





“He whom love touches not walks in darkness” (Plato).

A DEEPER LOOK

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday

IMAGINE THIS

There are several types of love: eros, philia, storge, pragma, ludus, philautia, and agape.


This morning, I stopped to consider what I love. A whole slew of words came to mind. Words such as: people, pets, books, my job, coffee, a good scone, my front porch, family, and God.

Seriously, I love a lot of people and things. Maybe overuse of this word has me a little confused and I need to find a new word to describe my morning coffee!

From Biblical times to Generation Z – various depths, definitions, and emotional attachments have been associated with the word love. But what if we started loving with our head, not just our heart?  As a covenant with wisdom and compassion? It could still cause hurt and tears, no getting around that, but perhaps we'd better understand ourselves and others, maybe even God if love was more...intentional. 

How different would that look if it was more than an emotional roller coaster? If love was done on purpose instead of just emotionally? 

Let’s take a look at agape love:  
As women of faith, it is important for us to understand that the love God has for us goes beyond anything we can ever imagine. Romans 5:8 says that even though we were still sinners, Christ died for us out of unconditional love. But...can we show unconditional love for our flawed, not-so-nice, imperfect fellow humans?  Only  if we think of love as a choice – a matter of the head – that requires putting emotions aside.  

Agape love is evidenced by how we respond and interact with others.  It is a committed love. This is the type of love God wants us to  have for others. To love them intentionally. Choosing to look past imperfections. Agape love requires us to see beyond the obvious. It is a head issue and helps us love as He loves us.

MY THOUGHTS

Journal your thoughts here

How can I, on purpose, show agape love to someone this week?

How can I be a better, more loving, neighbor?


Have I truly asked the Holy Spirit to help me share God’s love in the past?


Do I want the Holy Spirit to teach me to love others, see others, as God seen them when He sent Jesus to die on the cross?



In Christ with LOVE and compassion

Coach Kelly

#BeyondTheMirror #YourLifeCoachingWV

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Create in Me

Jesus, Touch Me Again

beyond BEAUTIFUL week 45