Just a Distraction


There are so many scary things happening in the world right now.

Some things we have no control over but others we do - you know, the things that we do "accidentally on purpose" but still have a consequence?

As I was praying, the Holy Spirit spoke to my heart that some of these things are just distractions.

So I had to ask "Just a distraction? From what?"

His answer:  "From seeking and serving God."  I'm old enough to know that anything keeping us from God comes from the devil so that answer got my attention.  I mean, even though the things I was praying about were hurtful to my family, dealing with life's distractions can take a lot time and energy.

So, after some time, I came away with this thought: If distractions are keeping me from God, its no wonder I feel sick and tired, stressed and grumpy, weak and drained.  I am not getting filled back up; and that reminded me of this:  Once when a family member died, someone told me how "strong" I was and I remember thinking that I don't want to be strong, I want to curl up in a ball and cry. As I was walking down the hospital's corridor, I escaped into a corner and did just that. As I was sobbing just as hard as some of my "not so strong family", I asked God why I could be so strong one moment and like this the next? His response was something like "Right now, you are in your strength...earlier, that strength was from Me."

Life's distractions can keep us from seeking the Holy Spirit's strength by keeping us so preoccupied that we don't have the energy to read our Bible, pray, or simply be still before God and listen for His voice. Distractions come in a lot of forms, but they all take our eyes off Him. They spotlight the current event not considering the future He has planned for us.

I wish I had a cleaver way to end this post; a positive uplifting statement to bring it all home but I don't...I just don't. What I do have is a warning to be aware of the distractions in life that can and will keep you from God's best for your life.

In Christ with love and compassion,

Coach Kelly

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Create in Me

Jesus, Touch Me Again

And Sometimes...It is Just God