In God's Hands?

"Deuteronomy 30:15 & 19"  






I used to say (and believe) this phrase. It served as a logical excuse for when things didn't go as I had planned. But lately, I honestly think this phrase is just not right. 

Deuteronomy 30:15 (NLT) reads: "Now listen! Today I am giving you a choice between life and death, between prosperity and disaster."

Deuteronomy 30:19 (NLT) reads: "Today I have given you the choice between life and death, between blessings and curses. Now I call on heaven and earth to witness the choice you make. Oh, that you would choose life, so that you and your descendants might live!"

In these verses, God is telling the Israelites that He is giving them options and that their choices will be witnessed and verified in heaven and on earth.  So if "Its all in God's hands..." why did He offer them options? Why did He tell them to choose?  

Here are my thoughts on this well intended phrase:

I firmly believe that my future is in God's sight as stated in Jeremiah 29:11. I believe He knows the beginning from the end and all that lays in between. I believe that He has a plan for my life and that He sets me up to succeed. That He gives me options that will help me along the right pathway. But I also know that He chose to give us free will so that we will love, follow, and trust Him because we want to.

So why do I think the phrase "Its all in God's hands" is not entirely true? Well, honestly, my life is a reflection of the choices I've made. I can choose to live below my destiny or embrace it. I can trust Him to only give me good choices, so I will need to recognize His voice (see John 10:27. NLT) over that of the enemy, who also has a voice (see Revelation 12) and offers me choices. 

As a life skills coach, I encourage my neighbors to become the best version of themselves they can become. But that will not happen by accident. Just as God created me on and for a purpose; my life is in my hands, to work on purpose to make a positive impact in my community for the sake of eternity.

Think of it this way: if I choose to not do my job, who will? And if someone chooses to step up and do my job for me, who will do theirs?  If it is truly all in God's hands, we would not have choices, options, or responsibilities! He'd do it all for us just like Jesus did on the cross - take it all upon Himself and give us an "easy out." And no, the cross was not easy for Jesus and life is not easy for us, but the very same God who gave us free will, has provided a way for us (see 1 Corinthians 10:13), He set before us life and death, blessings and cursing...but it is up to us to choose.

Create your tomorrow by making the right choice, do your best in everything you do, consider that your future in in God's sight...but it is in your hands.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Create in Me

Jesus, Touch Me Again

beyond BEAUTIFUL week 45