Promise or Warning?

I am 48 years old and I have never seen such amazing displays of rainbows in all my life! This past year or so, I have seen double rainbows, multiple rainbows, and rainbows that literally hit the ground.  Yesterday, I had the unique experience of driving under a rainbow - now that was pretty awesome!

Until yesterday, I only considered these sightings as inspiring promises.
Genesis 9:14-16 reads: "It shall be, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the rainbow shall be seen in the cloud; 15 and I will remember My covenant which is between Me and you and every living creature of all flesh; the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. 16 The rainbow shall be in the cloud, and I will look on it to remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth.” 

But yesterday, as I passed under the bow, it hit me: these pretty things also hold a warning about "what comes next."  Somehow we tend to hold onto God's pretty promises but overlook His blatant warnings.

2 Peter 3:7 & 10 read:  "7 But the heaven we see now and the earth we live on now have been kept by His word. They will be kept until they are to be destroyed by fire. They will be kept until the day men stand before God and sinners will be destroyed. 10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare."


+ + +

Like a lot of folks, I find myself getting "stirred up" by news feeds or Facebook posts promoting hate, racism, immorality, etc. but if I am only getting myself in a tizzy, what good is that to anyone else?

So I have to ask myself "What am I doing to share God's love with this hurting world and can I do more?"  Maybe the answer is simply yes. I can pray more, talk with God often, read the Bible and then apply it, live fully, love deeply, forgive often, and be the best person I can be.

I believe that if every professing Christian, if every good or spiritual person, if every American would start striving for peace,  we can persuade God (See Exodus 34:14) that we are worthy of another chance...

In Christ with love and compassion - Coach Kelly



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Create in Me

The Life Journey week 4

You hear that?