It's an Eagle!

This afternoon I was sitting under the hickory nut tree watching two birds soar
overhead. Assuming they were both buzzards, I focused on one and watched it swoop and glide.   My goal was to just watch those birds, tune out the traffic, and be still before God. To absorb as much of His majesty as I could- it seemed like a good goal to me!

After a couple minutes, out of the corner of my eye, I noticed the other bird coming in closer so I turned to look directly at it - you know, shifted my focus a little. Suddenly, with the excitement of a child, I exclaimed "Oh my God, it is an eagle!" and I felt Him smile on me- because He knows how much I enjoy seeing them in the wild. And every once in a while, because God delights in the praise of His kids and cares about everything in our lives, He lets me enjoy seeing one fly over my own front yard! Now seriously, how awesome is that?! And I sat there with a huge smile on my face, watching both birds but from different angles. Now y'all know that I am always watching for life lessons from this ordinary life of mine so this was no exception. It dawned on me that because I was focused on the buzzard, a not-so-glamorous bird, I could have missed the eagle. And so it is with life.

+ + +

We can get so caught up in the dark things, that we don't see the bright things that our life has to offer. How many times do we miss Gods best because we're focused on the other? Notice that I said 'other' rather than bad? Well that's because sometimes we settle for the ordinary when God has the extraordinary just a little left or right of center...and all we have to do is shift our focus...just a little.

+ + +

Have a blessed Saturday. I am going to ditch this tablet and resume my quiet time...I may be missing something spectacular!!

In Christ, Coach Kelly

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Create in Me

Jesus, Touch Me Again

beyond BEAUTIFUL week 45