It Feels Peaceful...Like Thanksgiving Day

It Felt Peaceful...Like Thanksgiving Day

"Maybe finding peace is as easy as giving thanks to God for His blessings
and provision in our everyday, ordinary lives..." Coach Kelly
+ + +

Have you ever woke up wondering what day is it? Isn’t it the oddest feeling? There you lie, horizontal in bed, semi-coherent, and clueless for a brief moment as you try to figure it out.  Most of the time the feeling passes quickly. For me, I either jump out of bed in a panic, rushing to get out the door, or grin and snuggle back into my pillow.  

I had one of these experiences the other day. I woke up wondering what day it was but instead feeling incoherent, the sweetest feeling came over me. A feeling of peace. Total contentment. As I climbed out of bed, I did so slowly, intentionally, trying to not speak or think about anything. I just wanted to keep that feeling as long as possible. As I continued into my morning routine, I realized in my heart that this particular morning felt just like Thanksgiving Day.
+ + +

I guess I should explain that my family and I love Thanksgiving Day. It’s been almost thirty years since I hosted my first Thanksgiving dinner and every year we have family and friends over. It is one tradition I truly love. We cook, watch Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade, play and watch football, eat at noon, and spend the rest of the day visiting. We complain about how full we are as we grab another piece of turkey, take a nap, and then brew a fresh pot of coffee so we can eat another slice of pie. In other words, we simply enjoy the whole day. Beyond the shadow of any doubt, Thanksgiving is our favorite holiday. But, to be honest, the love we have for Thanksgiving goes way beyond the food. It has a certain ‘feel’ to it. So when I woke up and felt like it was Thanksgiving Day it meant that precise moment was wonderful. Thinking about it, I reckon the only way I know to describe Thanksgiving Day is inexplainable peace. 

+ + +

Peace: what a great feeling. 
Peace: sought after by every generation. 
Peace: sometimes elusive. 
Peace: a priceless gift from God. 

I love Philippians 4:4-7: “Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice. Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand. Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Inexplainable peace? Maybe these verses hold the key to unlocking the mystery of finding God's peace. Maybe giving Him thanks for the ordinary things in our life is the answer? Being thankful for what we have. Things like life. Food. Family. Friends. Laughter. Even football.

Maybe when we fill ordinary days with giving thanks the end result is peace? Maybe when we stop taking God for granted and instead say thank You, maybe then we will have more days when it feels like Thanksgiving Day.

+ + +

Praying for y’all to have a blessed rest of the week,

In Christ with love and compassion,

Coach Kelly


#YourLifeCoachingWV #BeyondTheMirror #WVStrong

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Create in Me

You hear that?

Jesus, Touch Me Again