Strangers in a Tattoo Parlor


"Then our mouth was filled with laughter, and our tongue with shouts of joy; 

then they said among the nations, 'The Lord has done great things for them'"
(Psalm 126:2, ESV).

+ + +
Tuesday, October 25, 2016...Today I did something really dumb. And illegal. And dangerous...and in spite of myself I laughed.


+ + +

Have you ever done something so ridiculous that afterward you had a good laugh? You know, one of those gut-wrenching, tear falling, double-over-the-steering-wheel laughs? 


This happened to me earlier today. After the Beyond the Bully assembly and a quick shopping spree (okay, so I stopped at Ollie's for Halloween candy), I was headed to get a Daith piercing. So in my own defense, I was a little nervous:  1- I had never been in a tattoo parlor; 2- I don't like intentional pain; 3- I was thinking about everything I didn't share with the students and a few things I wish I hadn't.  (I mean really, did I have to share the fact that I fish without a hook? My friend Donna will appreciate the randomness of sharing a fishing story in the middle of an anti-bullying assembly!) 

just a squirrel moment y'all

It's safe to say that by the time I found the tattoo parlor I was more than a little preoccupied. So much so, that I didn't notice it was located on the corner of a one way street (I noticed that when I tried to park - it was the angle of the parking spaces that gave it away). So long story short, I did a couple three point turns (you're right Tee - I could have backed in!), sort of squared the Jeep in my parking space, glanced around to see who was watching, fed the meter, and waved to the shocked lady beside me.  Y'all, the look on her face was priceless...but nothing compared to guy's on the bike across the street or the fella who was nice enough to let me finish parking (just joking he wasn't going anywhere until I got out of his way). I rounded the corner as gracefully as I could. But once inside, when the owner asked how he could help me...I burst out laughing like a mad woman - a crazy mad laughing woman! Luckily he had a sense of humor and laughed right along with me when I told him what I did and the reaction of the trio on the street. And suddenly my day became a lot less complicated and a whole lot more enjoyable.

+ + +


Transparent. That's the word I use to describe my life's goal. More than once my sister Marsha has told me that we don't have to point out every mistake we make, I can her saying to me: "Dreama, everyone does dumb stuff...they don't tell it like we do!"  But she and I just don't have that ability. In fact, we're probably too quick to point out our mistakes.  

I know we all have these little moments. Moments when we do something so stupid that we beat ourselves up over it again and again. But I've learned over the years that laughter is indeed the best medicine. And I especially like it when I crack myself up!

Yep, those days when I don't take myself too seriously are the best days. Days when, hours later, I grin just thinking about it. But I've also noticed something else. How perfect days - the days when I don't make a lot of mistakes - days when I am stressed out in the pursuit of perfection - those days can't hold a candle to the days when I laugh at myself and smile in spite of it all...my best days? The days when I cut myself some slack. Days when I can share a good laugh at my own expense with Strangers in a Tattoo Parlor.

+ + +

Have a blessed rest of the week y'all

In Christ with love and compassion,

Coach Kelly

#BeyondTheMirror #YourLifeCoachingWV #WVStrong


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Create in Me

Jesus, Touch Me Again

beyond BEAUTIFUL week 45