No. Not Today. week 3

"God already knows our deepest thoughts" Romans 8:27a (ERV).
Photo Credits: D. Kelly, Grant Co., WV


                
REFLECTION
“Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart”
(2 Timothy 2:22).

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday

IMAGINE THIS
It came to mind.
That thing I don’t like giving in to.
Yet, time and time again…it has won.
Somehow overpowering my good senses
Alluring me to give in.
And sometimes…I do even though
I have learned it to be a poor sport.
Because after I give in – after it wins –
My ‘Christian’ label is mocked.
It mocks my weakness – condemning me – and I feel lost…again.
But not today.
Today, I will remind myself that through the power of The Holy Spirit,
I can overcome.
Today I can look beyond the temptation
And see Jesus smiling at His reflection in me.
Today, I choose to take control over my flesh.
Today I simply choose to say “No.”
Tomorrow…I may be weak.
Tomorrow…I may give in.
But today?
No not today.
Today I remember that I have been empowered to overcome.

Baltasar Gracian once said "Never open the door to a lesser evil, for other and greater ones invariably slink in after it.” (Goodreads.com; January 2017). I like this quote – a lot – it holds great wisdom.

The old testament is full of stories where God-fearing people have given in to their flesh. Some committed adultery, some murder, some lied, others stole, the list goes on and on. And if we’re honest with ourselves, it isn’t too hard to find our weakness listed in those pages.

And just as those old timers did not get a free pass, neither will we. There are consequences to face and lessons to be learned. Although I have learned a lot from my mistakes...I am still learning.

Lesson one has been learned by resisting my personal weakness. I should feel great right? Nope. Not at first; because my flesh screams and my head reasons. I want to give in. And dread sets in for a little while.

Second lesson learned after I give in: My spirit grieves and my flesh…well, it still isn’t satisfied. Sound familiar?

The Bible says in Matthew 26:41 that we should watch and pray so that we do not fall into temptation – that our spirit is willing to overcome but our flesh is weak. I can totally relate to this verse. Today, I fought temptation, put my flesh under submission. Today I won. What temptation will you overcome today…so that it can’t taunt you tomorrow?

MY THOUGHTS
Journal your thoughts here

  • Is there a certain temptation that you give in to – and later regret?
  • Can you identify ‘triggers’ for this temptation?
  • How do you feel when you resist?
  • How do you feel when you give in?
  • What impact does giving in to this temptation have on your circle of influence (family – coworkers – church family)
  • Does giving in to this temptation leave a negative impact on you? (emotionally – financially – behaviorally – attitude)
  • Is giving in worth the impact/cost?

NOTES:



+ + +

Have a blessed weekend y'all
In Christ with love and compassion,


Coach Kelly

Your Life Coaching WV

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Create in Me

You hear that?

Jesus, Touch Me Again