When I Say Nothing At All week 14

Photo Credit D. Kelly @ Grant Co., WV
"Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him...but
those who wait for the Lord shall inherit the Land"
(Psalm 37:7-9, ESV).

REFLECTION

“But whoever listens to me will live without worry and will be free from the dread of disaster” (Proverbs 1:33, GW).

Question of the day: Is it possible to still, in the 21st Century, hear a direct word from God?

A DEEPER LOOK

This week's suggested readings:

SUNDAY

James 5:7-8

MONDAY

Job 6:24

TUESDAY

Lamentations 3:24-26

WEDNESDAY

Psalm 37:7

THURSDAY

Philippians 4:6

FRIDAY

1 Peter 3:4

SATURDAY

Matthew 7:7-8



This week’s verses remind us to take time to be still before God.

IMAGINE THIS 

The traffic seemed to be moving nonstop on our two lane country road.
I sat on the front porch, enjoying the sound of a soft spring rain against the tin roof, in the cool morning air I sat... just waiting.

Waiting to hear from God...waiting for a break in the traffic, and for the breakthrough that my heart was crying for.
Soon, my morning coffee time alone with Jesus was over, and I realized that in my silence, He had revealed, quietly to me, a few things to consider.

It was the best conversation We'd had all week.

And yet, through it all, I had said nothing at all.

+ + +

We each have seasons of silence in our walk with God. Times when we have an insatiable need to hear a direct word from Him. Yet cannot hear from Him. Most of the time, I'd dare say I communicate with Him through one-sided conversations.  Conversations that start with "Dear Heavenly Father..." and end with an abrupt "Amen" as my eyes pop open and I jump to my feet.

I know that if I had similar conversations with family or friends, our relationships would be unhealthy.  Yet when it comes to my relationship with God, I've had plenty of one sided conversations. The result is discontentment.

When contentment eludes me, I know I have a heart problem. 

+ + + 

God longs to be in communication with us. He walked in the garden with Adam and Eve. He met with Moses on the mountain top.  Jesus took time away from the crowds to commune with Him. Yet in our daily lives, most of us fail to set aside enough time to literally be still. Our calendars may have a time penciled in for prayer, Bible reading, church...but time to be still?  How often do we take the time to be still and listen, actively, for God's still small voice?

This week, I plan to spend a few quiet moments with God every day.  To set aside some time to be still and actively listen for His voice.  Where? How? When? Well, God doesn't expect His kids to drive to an ocean or trudge to a mountain top.  He doesn't expect His kids to call off work or ignore our families. But He does long to fill the void within our souls. He starts to do this when we spend time with Him in our everyday lives.  God wants a few moments to commune with us each day.  

He can do that when we are willing to listen and say nothing at all.

MY THOUGHTS

·     +     Do I feel a need to hear from God?
    Is there room in my day for a few quiet moments to just be still and listen for His voice?
    When was the last time I truly heard from God?
    Am I following through with that conversation in obedience and holding onto what He spoke?
    Am I willing to pencil some quality time with God into my day?


Have a blessed week y'all ~Coach Kelly

#BeyondTheMirror  #YourLifeCoachingWV #SpringtimeOfEncouragement

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Create in Me

Jesus, Touch Me Again

beyond BEAUTIFUL week 45