Her Wishing Flower week 27

Photo Credit D. Kelly @ Grant Co., WV
REFLECTION
“He will yet fill your mouth with laughter, and your lips with shouting,” (Job 8:21, ESV.)

A DEEPER LOOK
Read:


Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday


This week’s verses remind us that there is joy in the presence of our Lord.

IMAGINE THIS

She sat on my knee, helping me drive the lawn mower, and singing to herself.
Suddenly, above the roar of the tractor, I heard her yell, “Look Mammy! It’s a wishing flower!”
I rounded the tree and stopped, when she jumped off the tractor, I followed.
Together we inspected her treasure.
Bending closer, she gently reached out then carefully snapped the stem.
Lifting it toward her face, she closed her bright blue eyes.
Then she blew.
With a big smile, she climbed back onto the tractor…

She wouldn’t tell me what she wished for but I’ll share mine:
I wished for her innocence to spread all around her.
I wished for her to always find contentment in the simple things.
And I wished for her to smile at memories of singing on a lawn mower.
When she blew on her wishing flower, I smiled and simply thanked God for weeds.
Someone, someday, will tell her the truth:
That there is no real magic in a dead dandelion bloom.
But until then, it is a wishing flower. 

+++

Jesus said that the kingdom of God is about being like a child. Not childish – but like a child.  I tried to remember some of my favorite childhood memories, the best times with my children, and then of course, recent moments captured by spending as much time as I can with the grandchildren.

And I discovered a few common threads: time spent outdoors, playing in the rain, dancing around the living room, and learning new things. I realized that it is the simple pleasures in life that I’ve held on to over the years.

Like when my girls learned to fish – one uncle lost a new pole when my daughter saw what was on the hook.
My son learning to walk in grass – he was stepping high and not loving it.
Meeting the sons-in-law for the first time – each with his own hilarious story of first impressions.
And now, life with grandkids: chasing zombies, homemade play dough creatures, and the joy they created for themselves by turning a gravel pile into their own private mountain.

It isn’t memories of material things that makes me smile. But rather the simple, fun things that money can’t buy and time can’t erase.

Ya see, God wants us to be happy. To find pleasure in what He has given us.


This summer, let’s lighten up by seeking simple pleasures. We’ll have to do it on purpose but when we appreciate real life and what we have it in…we bring a smile to God’s face too.

MY THOUGHTS
Journal your thoughts here

This week, seek out some simple pleasures and indulge in them. Then journal about the experience. A few suggestions include:

Blow some bubbles (or dandelion seeds, a.k.a.: Avery’s wishing flower)
This releases stress as you are really just taking in and expelling deep breaths!

Play Dough Therapy
An excellent way to use some energy while being creative!

Take a walk and look up
Our family loves to cloud watch – it is fun to ‘find characters’  
This also slows us down a bit.

Read for pleasure
There are a lot of good Christian books out there! 
Take a few minutes to read one just for the fun of it!

Sit by a body of water
Find yourself a river, creek, pool or ocean – 
Remember the purpose is to use what God has already given us!



Have a blessed week y’all!

In Christ with love and Compassion,
Coach Kelly

Published:
[2018-07-02;
2017-06-28]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Create in Me

Jesus, Touch Me Again

beyond BEAUTIFUL week 45