CAPTIVE week 43

Beyond the Mirror
Week 43

REFLECTION
“As a man thinks in his heart, so is he.”
The verse kept running through my mind as I tried to focus.
But focus I couldn’t.
Too many wayward thoughts.
For crying out loud, why couldn't I just focus on the dishes?
Just wash the plate.
Rise it.
Put it in the rack.
And another.
Just do it.
Before long, I realized that by focusing on the task at hand, I could take my thoughts capative.
Otherwise, they were holding me captive.
Sighing, I decided to finish the task at hand.
I could take my thoughts captive.
One at a time.

Keep me in perfect peace, Father, as I focus my mind on You (Isaiah 26:3).

IMAGINE THIS
If we treated our mind like we do our car, we’d be more in control of our thoughts. When driving, if we find ourselves lost, typically, for women anyway, (sorry guys but you know I’m right here) we turn down the radio, ask for directions, reboot the navigation system, and stop moving forward if we can. In other words, we break the cycle. We would never allow our car to keep taking us, on purpose, to the wrong destination. We’d be foolish if we did. But when it comes to our minds, we let our thoughts keep right on trucking. We allow them to distract us. Those wayward thoughts take control, and will block out everything logical around us. We will focus on those “what ifs” as sure fire realities.
So how do we take those thoughts that hold us captive - captive? 

Daily. 
On purpose. 
One at a time. 

It is a process that has benefits far beyond what we may ever imagine. Keeping our minds clear of chaos is a continual task. It is not something we do once and master. It takes work. The Bible has a lot to say about our thoughts and mind. It indicates that we tend to focus on carnal things more than we focus on God. And we get off center. This creates a cluttered soul which ultimately takes its toll on our physical body. 

How do we change that? 
What can we do to take our thoughts captive and not be held captive by them? 

This week's scriptures will help us do just that!



A DEEPER LOOK
Daily scriptures

Sunday
Focus on God
Monday
Sound Thoughts and Peace
Tuesday
Hostile, Selfish Thoughts
Wednesday
Good Thoughts
Thursday
God Only Knows
Friday
Submit and Flee
Saturday
Search, Know, Protect, Lead

MY THOUGHTS Journal your thoughts here This week, let's try to keep our minds focused on God and good things. Let’s see how He leads us toward peace.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Create in Me

Jesus, Touch Me Again

beyond BEAUTIFUL week 45