The Road Less Traveled


"You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore."
Photo Credits: Jillian Taylor, Winchester, VA


My Reflection:
"Mom! Your other right!" My family, and recently my friend Pam, can attest to the fact that I don't immediately know my left from my right. I often wonder if I was absent from Kindergarten the day this elementary lesson was taught or if it is indicative of a bigger deficit. Either way, it makes riding with me interesting. Most of the time I can use a little trick I learned as a reminder to keep me on track, but sometimes when I'm talking with or listening to my passengers, I go into auto-pilot and all turns are right...even when our friendly GPS navigator specifically says "In 100 feet turn left."  I swear she sighs when she says "Recalculating...."  

+ + +

Picture This:
I don't know about y'all, but when I ask and listen, I can sense the Holy Spirit nudging me in a specific direction. And most of the time I try to follow His direction; but sometimes I don't. I may be going along fine for a while and start feeling all self-assured and confident in my own abilities but then BAM! A huge pothole, a closed road, another dead end, or a road-rage-like-condition slams me in the face and I  have to recalculate. Make a u-turn to compensate for my unwise choice. You know, anything I can think of for a quick get-away to escape the results of my deliberate disobedience. Have you ever done this?

It's true that all roads lead somewhere and we can certainly continue on the left fork of the road. Even when all signs and indications tell us we are on the wrong path. But because life is full of choices (that free will God gave us is fun ain't it?) and with these choices come consequences.  

But what about those other times? When we're certain we are on the right path but encounter obstacle after obstacle. Running into things that are just too much for us to manage?  How can we tell the difference between these paths? How can we tell if we are on a rocky road that God has designed for us or traveling one that we've chosen for ourselves? It's difficult at best. Frustrating. Hard. What about these times? 

+ + +

Fast Forward to 2016:
The Bible tells us that some things we encounter are of our own choosing (Proverbs 16:9) - but this verse also says that God won't say "Hey, you made your choice - you're on your own kid!" God doesn't work like that. He will always offer us a way out. Provide a good way to get back on the right road (1 Corinthians 10:13). His way of strengthening us, conditioning us for the bumpy road ahead.  Through Jesus Christ, God established a means for us to reach our ultimate destination (John 14:6). 

Here are some verses to help when on an uncertain path:  Proverbs 3:5-6; John 16:13; and again, the beloved ah-ha verse of  Proverbs 16:9; And finally Isaiah 58:8 "Then your light will break out like the dawn, and your healing (restoration, new life) will quickly spring forth; Your righteousness will go before you [leading you to peace and prosperity], The glory of the Lord will be your rear guard" (AMP).

+ + +

Sometimes it is easy to differentiate between the paths - other times, not so much. If you feel that you have done everything right, that your path is the one He set you on...ask Him for direction, courage, and strength to keep going or be brave and ask if you missed it somehow. But if you know that it was some poor decisions that have set the pace, ask God to forgive you, turn away from willful sin, and ask Him for guidance.  

I know firsthand how hard and rocky both of these paths can become. But you know what? Both paths lead somewhere. Both become an intricate part of who we are and who we are becoming.  Regret will not change our past and it doesn't always get to dictate our future...after all...even after you hung a wrong left, when God's got your back, all roads lead right somewhere - so I have to ask, have you considered The Road Less Traveled?

+ + +

Hey y'all, have a blessed Sunday,

In Christ with love and compassion 

~ Coach Kelly

#YourLifeCoachingWV; #BeyondTheMirror; #WVStrong


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Create in Me

Jesus, Touch Me Again

beyond BEAUTIFUL week 45