Home Comfort

Deuteronomy 8:11-14: "Be careful that you do not forget the Lord your God..."

Do y'all remember those ole "Home Comfort" stoves? The wood burners with the different warming stations and a heavy metal handle-thingy?
Granny and her 'vintage' Home Comfort Stove
My grandmother had one that she used daily; Granny 
always had something simmering on her stove: sap from maple trees, 
'kraut and hot dogs, beans, or just a kettle of water for her tea. That lady could nurse a mug of hot tea all day long. She'd just add a little hot water to it off and on and she'd sip away. I can still see her sitting at the kitchen table, back to the sink, a cup of tea covered with a saucer in front of her, the string all brown from wicking the tepid liquid over the course of the day. 
Sometimes she'd just be sitting beside the stove...just being..."Granny." She always wore an apron and something on her head, like a toboggan or head scarf.  (I'm smiling as I picture these vivid memories so I had to share a pix so you can smile too.)  These are some of my home comfort memories. Memories of home. Southern home comfort at its best. Memories I want to share while creating some with my own grand-kids.
  
Earlier this week I wasn't feeling good and I was thinking of my personal comfort. How the little things in everyday life are easily taken for granted. The snack cabinet my own grand-kids and I enjoy. The AC and ceiling fan on hot July days. My not-so-old dog and cat rubbing up against my legs wondering what I'm doing home. My husband and kids praying for me to feel better. Just little things that make this home sweet (comfortable) home.

I felt guilt wash over me as I munched on "Miracle Whip crackers," an odd yet comfort-for-me-food. And I had to remember that unlike so many of my American neighbors, I still have my home unaffected by flood waters and my family intact and healthy.  Guilt that, today anyway, I was living a 'normal' life while so many others just aren't. Gradually it dawned on me that these comforts are only temporary.  Just like my neighbors, home could be swept away by natural elements or at any given point in time, my family could be hurt, or worse...then what? Where would I find my comfort?  Sickened to my stomach by the knowledge that life is an uncertain-moment-by-moment journey...I bowed my head and prayed.

+ + +

With head bowed over my Bible, I recalled a couple verses found in the book of 119 Psalms: "Your words have I hid in my heart (11) - Make me understand the way of Your precepts (27) - and this is my comfort in my affliction, for Your word has given me life (50)". I reckon my thought is that God will grant me the peace of mind to face life head on when it has my back against the wall. Where is my hope? In the same God David wrote to in Psalm 39:7: "And now, Lord, what do I wait for? My hope is in You."

In a time when the world is so full of chaos and turmoil, I pray that my neighbors and I can earnestly seek, find, and hope in the God of our forefathers. The God who is Omnipresent. Whose Spirit resides in believers. Our Comforter. Our Father. Our God. 

Wishing y'all a blessed Sunday full of His grace.

In Christ with love and compassion,

Coach Kelly
#WVStrong; #PrayingForAmerica 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Create in Me

Jesus, Touch Me Again

beyond BEAUTIFUL week 45