The Hypocrite at Our Table





The Hypocrite at Our Table
Ephesians 4:25
Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another

I was feeling sick to my stomach. Too many things testing our family's wisdom and faith. A glance in the rear view mirror ended my weekend reprieve. Oh God help me now.
+ + +

I sat at the kitchen table looking out the back door. Rainy Mondays require a cup of hot tea and cinnamon sugar toast with lots of butter. West Virginia comfort food. My soul heavy, my spirit in flux…I needed something good.

Looking around the table I thought of the diverse folks that have ate, laughed, and cried here. The teenage druggies looking for a little normalcy over a plate of spaghetti and an animated game of Uno. The broken hearted widow taking comfort that her children could laugh over Christmas dinner…like before. The religious folks showing off their knowledge of the Bible while the rest of us looked on (in what they hoped was awe not boredom). Thoughts of the gay kid we love - without knowing why - made me smile. The lesbian who got on my last nerve with every visit. The black girl who learned the hard way how to make drop biscuits. The preachers who needed a down day of food and football with friends. Good memories of our neighbors, friends, and acquaintances gathered around the family table.

Looking back, I don’t recall a lot of holier-than-thou folks around our table. I reckon we aren't up to par with them…but then my thoughts returned to the folks who have sat around this table. While I sincerely love them, it hit me that I wouldn't want some of them as members of this family. Priding myself in the diversity of this table, that thought didn't sit well with me.  Oh God…am I a hypocrite? Is the holier-than-thou person who frequents our table sitting at my spot? Why do I feel this way?

Because you’ve seen the impact it has upon them. You've seen the hurt…the death...the consequences of wrong choices. Choices they made on purpose and now can't seem to escape.

Recently, the need to protect my family -  to keep them healthy, happy, saved, and safe - is all consuming.  With that in mind, am I a hypocrite for wanting to protect my family? Especially from outside influences that bring death?  Is it hypocritical to care about, even love,  people from these walks of life yet not want the likes of them infused into my own family? Bringing their junk with them? How does a mom – the imperfect, sometimes-I-cuss-then-repent-but-I-do-love-God-and-people – Christian mom draw the line where her family is concerned?

Drawing reference from the best selling book ever printed – I say carefully. Abstain from the very appearance of evil, it advises, and do not let anything other than the Holy Spirit control you – you control yourself. Protect little ones and keep them from harm, it directs, and shun the profane. Love with a pure heart, it instructs, and do good to those who are outside the faith. Oh and while you're at it,  respect all people!

So again I ask, is the hypocrite at our table sitting in my seat? I hope not. I hope that the love I have for people - all people - shines through while I do my best to protect my family from this spiritual war we are engaged in. I pray for wisdom here - God knows I need it.

In Christ with Love and Compassion - Coach Kelly

#YourLifeCoachingWV #BeyondTheMirror #WVStrong

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Create in Me

Jesus, Touch Me Again

beyond BEAUTIFUL week 45